Our Web Design Process
(The Simple Version)
- Find out what you have, what you want and what you need for your business website
- Research your competition
- Develop a website plan to meet your goals
- Launch a website with services that will help you meet your goals
- Provide reporting and analytics to continue to make your business better
Deciding to pursue a digital presence for your business is a big decision. You have probably read a few articles online, and the process and details may seem overwhelming. There is a lot involved in the process, but we help guide you through each decision and each step.
Here is a detailed list of the process we will go through to take your site from an idea to reality
- Conversation– Before we start on your project, we will have a short conversation to discuss the goals for your site. We will talk about the general look and feel of your website, what functions you need for your website, and how the website fits into your overall marketing or business plan. (If you don’t have a business or marketing plan, don’t worry.)
- Acceptance– After our initial conversation, we will decide if we are going to accept your project. If we don’t think your project is a good fit for us, we will recommend other companies that we think might be a good fit for your business.
- Design Questionnaire– From our conversation, we have a general idea of what you want for your site. Our design questionnaire is used to hone in on the details. This is an important step. We recommend that you brew some coffee and take your time with the questionnaire. This will be one of the main documents that help create your website, and it will help you focus on areas that will help you in the future.
- Contract and Payment– Now that we have all the basic details, we will write down everything that we will be doing to create your site. This way you will have a clear expectation of what we will be doing for you. At this time, payment will be due.
- Site Architecture– Website Architecture is the structure of your site. We will help you decide what pages you need for your website, how those pages will be connected, what the focus and keywords will be for each page, and the general design for each page. The message and content for each page will help guide the design. If you are writing your own content, it is important that you start working on it right away.
- Visual Design– Now it’s time to decide how your website will look. We will start talking about the details of your site. We will show you examples to help you pick a general layout for the site and specific design features of each page. You will be making decisions on things like color, typography, logo placement, contact forms, and other specifics of your site.
- Website Content– Some businesses write their own content, sometimes we write the content, and other times we work with third party content creators. We will be building the site around the content to optimize the message your business wants to send. At this stage, we are getting ready to start developing your site. If you are writing your own content, this is the point where we will need a detailed outline of it, rough drafts included.
- Website Development– Now you get to relax while we work on your site. We will still be in contact with you, and you will be able to see your website develop. At the end of this process, all of your content should be on the website.
- Testing and Optimization– Your website is completed visually, but there is still a lot of work to do before we can launch. We will test your website in multiple browsers, on multiple screen sizes, and on multiple devices. We will also test the site for Google’s mobile compatibility. Your site will be tested for page load times, and overall speed rankings. We will take the results of the testing and make the final optimizations for your site.
- Final Review and Approval– The final version of the site will be uploaded to a development server where you will be able to access it with a private password. We will email you a review guide to help you understand some of the things you should be looking for. After you have reviewed it, and you give your final approval, we will be ready to launch.
- Launch– The big day is finally here! Congratulations, but the work isn’t over yet. When the site launches you need to be prepared to respond to user feedback, make small adjustments to layout, and adjust your content if necessary.
- Warranty/Website Maintenance Plan– For the first three months after the site launches you will be covered under a limited warranty that will be defined in your contract. We strongly suggest that you protect the time and money you have invested in your business website with a maintenance plan. We offer a plan that will provide website backups, software updates, security scans, and more.